Friday, October 31, 2014

Alabama Shrimp Bake

Last night I told the hubby that shrimp is on sale and what would he like me to make.  He pulled this oldie but goodie out of his brain.

Do you remember when Forrest Gump was all the rage?  Well Southern Living Magazine took advantage of it and put out a "Bubba Gump Cookbook" that took all the SL shrimp recipes and put them in one book.  Mom gave me and my sis one for Christmas along with the usual "Southern Living Annual Cookbook" and a Chickfila Calendar.  I do believe I have made every recipe in the Bubba Gump Cookbook but this one was very popular with my family.  Enjoy!

1 cup butter, melted (I used 1/2 cup)
3/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. salt (I used seasoning salt)
1 tbsp. freshly-ground black pepper
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1/8 tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 tbsp. hot sauce (I used Sriracha)
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 lbs. unpeeled large or jumbo fresh shrimp (I peeled mine)
2 lemons, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced


1. Preheat oven to 400F. Combine first 9 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Rinse shrimp with cold water; drain well. In an ungreased 9x13x2-inch baking dish, layer shrimp, lemon slices, and onion slices. Pour butter mixture over shrimp.
3. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes (less if you're using peeled shrimp) or until shrimp turn pink, basting occasionally with pan juices.

I like to make some Linguine noodles and cook them al dente.  I will put the noodles in a large bowl and then pour the shrimp on top and let them sit for a minute or 2 so the noodles absorb some of the juice.  

1 comment: