Friday, April 19, 2013

Mabel Hodges' Party Punch

Okay, to be fair, this is the original recipe for "Fish House Punch", which is a serious-ass, hard-core punch with a P-U-N-C-H and I-am-so-not-kidding-with-this-so-be-extra-careful-serving-it, which was first introduced in 1732 at the Schuylkill Fishing Club in Philadelphia. It was first introduced to me via my circa 1970's mom's Time Life Cook Books, this one entitled, "Wines and Spirits," I believe. It came with an accompanying spiralized recipe book. By the time I reached high school in the 1980's Mom and Dad's drink cupboard (yes, all self-respecting 1970's parents had drink cupboards) was filled with dusty yellowed boxes of Pink Squirrel mix packets, Mai Tai packets and a tin of petrified bourbon balls you could still smell from across the kitchen (my mother made those bourbon balls for her shrink every Christmas, even though he was Jewish), but by then it had already left it's impression on me, as had all of my parents' boozy, bridge-playing friends. The message was clear. To be great all one needed was that single outstanding recipe that would set one's self apart from all the rest. A party drink legacy, if you will. Being a childhood geek I poured over Mom's "Wines and Spirits" book and despite the mildew smell emanating from it's pages I discovered this gem. Years later it would come to life in a blaze of Christmas glory, at my very first grown-up cocktail party of my own. And yes, strangers *do* get married to each other after my parties.

Love,
Mabel
xoxoxo!

INGREDIENTS
  • 3/4 cup superfine sugar
  • 5 cups water
  • 3 cups dark rum
  • 3 cups fresh lemon juice
  • 3 cups brandy or cognac
  • 1 pint peach brandy
  • 2 peaches, peeled and sliced
INSTRUCTIONS
Pour the sugar, water, rum, lemon juice, brandy, and peach brandy into a large bowl over a large disk of ice. Stir until blended, and refrigerate for 1 hour. Add the peach slices to float, and serve in chilled glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment